Friday 15 February 2008

Sunday the 27th of January- RS-virus Day 2

Annie was with James when I arrived at 8.30. He had been crying a lot during the night. Been anxious and shifted around in bed. He had still a slight fever and sleep in his little oxygen hood. The infection unit is the only ward which uses the hoods. They are bigger than the old ones but suits really well for babies with rs-viruses. A big plus is that they don’t need anything up their nose to irritate them or a cone blowing in their faces. James thought it was really cosy. But he was not doing well in his saturation level. For the most part he was around 60-65%, not included when he panicked. I had several inhalations with adrenaline and Ventoline. Adrenaline raised his pulse too much which of course has an effect on his heart. Annie stayed with us until mid afternoon when she went back up to the ward. I was there anyways and took care of him so it felt unnecessary to have someone else in there 24 hours. Otherwise the Sunday was pretty calm and he seemed to be doing alright considering. I did what I could with the caring around him and tried to keep myself useful and active. To just sit around and make the staff do everything bores me to death. For me it is also important to be the one caring for him the most. I mean I´ll rather do it, he is not the hospitals baby he is ours. If you let the staff do everything you do don’t do yourself favours in my mind. Keep in mind, healthcare is my profession. Hopefully I can study to a nurse in the future. After all we have gone through I am sure I would love the job, feel secure with it and have good experiences about healthcare after everything with James. Of course I would have a great interest to work with little sweethearts.
James had to be watched over during the nights and obviously I can´t stay up during nights as well. I was sleeping in our room and they were supposed to take out James to another room with other RS-virus babies during the night. At 21.30 two nurses entered the room and opened the doors fully. They said “we are working tonight and we take James out now”. I just looked at them and said;”” no you are not. Thinking to myself, is it my child or the hospitals? I said;” I will call on you when I go to bed and you can take him it will be around 24.00, if it is ok for you”? Honestly, I asked but just to try and sound polite. The nurses said “eh yes of course it is ok”. Fifth teen minutes later an older assistant nurse came in and moaned about, it`s better to have them collected together. I just replied with, you will when I am going to bed but now he will be with me. I don’t like to be stroppy to staff, but if they are acting unprofessionally I really become annoyed. When you work closely to people with a sick child or anyone else for that matter you have to think how you approach them and try to think before you talk and act. The staffs have to start and think;” how would you like to be treated in this situation”??

No comments: