Sunday 7 October 2007

September 24th - Day before the Op

Waking up, I still felt very low in mind, wondering how it would end for all of us. After breakfast we go up to James for some snuggling. Sometimes I lean over James in his bed and put my cheek on his to be close for a while. It feels so wonderful :O)
A short dark haired confident man in green clothes walked into the ward introducing himself as The Chief of Surgeons, his name is Sune. He told us surgery would be on the following day. They decided to carry out the operation Tuesday afternoon instead of Wednesday due to being satisfied that there was no requirement to improve leaking valve. He would perform the surgery himself, using his own modified method of the Japanese Norwood. Chief Surgeon Sune explained the operation – The body temperature drops to 28 degrees with keeping heart and lungs functioning. I asked him what were James’s odds – he replied that only 1-2 % of heart ops do not make it however, James Op is the most difficult so odds of not making it around 8%. We both feel much better and hopeful after meeting with Sune. I had never felt so calmed ever since James almost died on us, for the first time I had hope! Sune is a very impressive man which made us feel incredibly positive especially as he was going to carry out the operation.
ET, C and N came over for a visit with my dad. After he was taking the kids back home to our house so they could start school again following day. The kids were playing down at the play hall and then followed us back up to see James. They were very excited all three of them. Neville was certainly most impressed since I had made sure James had Winnie the Pooh nappies on and a Winnie the pooh coverlet over him. We took pictures one and one with James. It was so lovely to see the boys, kiss them and hug them. I felt very sad these days, grieving for James at the same time wishing I could be with the other kids and felt I was letting them down. I knew after the operation James was far from going home within the nearest future.
Later Nigel talked to his parents. They had just returned home from a holiday in Cyprus and had now booked a flight to come over and help us out from tomorrow, and the following two weeks. They are so sweet. It’s going to be nice to show off James.

No comments: