Thursday 31 January 2008

Thursday 29th November 2007 - Heartcat day 2

Of course he did not eat properly. So he woke up at 05.00 hungry like a tiger. I heated up some water for him (eeeewww) because he was allowed to drink water until 06.00. Thankfully it helped and he was pleased. 5.30. I prepared his bath. Poor baby was crying thinking mum has gone even more mental when I put him on the nursing table. Finally in the bath he was happy again. I cleaned him with the disinfected soap-foam on especially his groins as they instructed me to do. Of course he became angry again when I had to hold his hands placing the sedative cream on, I wrapped plastic bandage over and bandaged his hands properly. He was no happy chappy. I packed what we needed for the day and we were off at 6.30 to the hospital. As the day before were placed in room 10 with the couple from the other day. We chatted for a bit and the staff came in to bring the other baby boy to op. We wished each other good luck in the future. Anaesthetics’ were late in to work so we had to wait an extra half an hour. Finally the staff came in and gave James a sedative. I carried him to the x-ray unit with James relaxed deeply asleep in my arms as I had asked to do. I wanted to put him on the stretcher myself and be with him when they sedated him completely. Holding his little hand. Carrying a totally relaxed half naked James in my arms gave me flash backs of the night we brought him in. So it was good for me. I was not a slightest bit worried which was good. I chatted with the nurses and when we came in to the pre room I was greeted by a nurse I met before. Some giggling was going on and the research nurse who handles James´s vaccinations came in and waited for James to be properly sedated so she could take a nasal test on him. We cracked some jokes and my hero stepped inside the door. Mr Per Westin the chief of anaesthetics. I almost jumped up from the chair but greeted him with a big smile asking how he was doing and nice to see him again. He is a very sweet man, very empathic and takes his time to explain things. We went in to the x-ray room where they would do the catheterisation. WOW!!! Why did I not bring the camera? I certainly will next time!!! Big tv screens by the stretcher and a monitor room. Really impressive. I lay down our little precious and the anaesthetic nurse asked if I would like to be there when they sedated him. Of course :o) She stood by his little head prepared with a (Mask) Per said James could give a smaller reaction to the drugs because it usually stings a bit. He started giving him the drugs and we chit chatted a little, Per and I. James did not react to the drugs, he was sedated and the nurse helped him breathe a couple of time with the (Mask) and kissed James goodbye and I said we loved him. I thanked Per and the other staff and we were off. On the way out the two nurses and I pasted by the cardiologist Milad with a coffee in his hand, we nodded hello and he went in to do his work with James. Milad is a doctor I don’t really click with and I struggle to bite my tongue sometimes but he is an excellent cardiologist and it is the main thing of course :o). The nurses asked how I was doing if I felt anxious because they thought I seemed so calm. I said I was totally calm, I knew all the staff and I trust them. All my concerns I had I struggled with the week before so I was prepared. I was calm the remaining two hours until post op called. Everything was fine with James but I half ran over and could not see him quickly enough. Of course I was so eager to see him that I forgot his milk and I had to run back. I called Nigel to tell him everything was ok he was worried at work of course. But I had told him he did not have to be at the hospital, it was a minor thing and I felt calm being there alone. Blimey, it is like home now, well almost. James ate a tiny amount of milk, he was anxious and still on the drugs and painkillers. He had a pressure bandage on his groin which we checked regularly so he would not start to bleed. As time passed by they released the pressure more and more on his groin. James fell asleep quickly in my arms. After not having more than two hours of sleep so did I hahahaha, Hopefully I did not snore :o) in the chair. After two hours we were back on ward 67. James was really tired during the day and did not eat much. Well poor boy was sedated the same day, who would feel like eating instead of sleeping? When it was 18.00 I wanted to go home. Sv past by and said we most probably had to stay overnight because James was too sleepy. I grinded my teeth and thought it was ridiculous. Jenny the nurse came up to me, a young sweet nurse. We usually chit chat and she asked what Sverrir had said and I said he wanted James to stay overnight, she shaked her head and agreed on the ridiculous part. James had eaten several times but small amounts at the time. I was not worried at all. We talked for a bit and Jenny went back to the reception. Milad came in to the ward. After a talk to Jenny Milad came up to me and asked how James was doing. I told him and he said he had heard I wanted to go home if possible. I said yes but Dr Sverrir wanted James to stay. He said you live so close to the hospital so you can go home and I take the responsibility. Yeeeiyy!! Thank you Milad! Sometimes it is good with a doctor with an attitude :o). I thanked Jenny for bringing it up with Milad. But I felt a bit guilty thinking of Dr Sverrir even if it was Milads decision to go over Sverrirs head. I called home to Nigel and said we were on the way home. Time was then 20.00, I was exhausted and James slept calmly in his car seat.

No comments: